Saturday, August 29, 2015

Day 2 in Paris


What a fun, full day yesterday was for us! I woke up rather early (5:30) and did my workout, wrote a little, answered emails, and got ready for the day. We were to breakfast by around 9. 

After a lovely petit dejenuer at the hotel, we went for a stroll through the Jardin de Tuileries which was impeccable. The grass was manicured to perfection and hardly a single flower dropped or was left in poor shape. The fountains and sculptures were also grand and beautiful. 


After we strolled through the gardens, we went to the Museé d'Orsay to see famous works by various renowned artists. Although it's hard to say which piece was my favorite I kept finding myself lost in the vibrant, intricate color schemes of Signac. It was such a strange feels seeing so many legendary pieces just inches away from my face. 


After the Mo we stopped into a pharmacy for bandaids to reconcile my poor choice in shoes and continued meandering the streets. We saw various patisseries, brasseries on nearly every corner, marchés, and lots of other shops with open windows. The weather was so beautiful that I felt like I could walk for days. 


We slowly made our way over to le Tour Eiffel. Words fail to describe the grandeur and sheer size of this beautiful structure. Standing beneath it I had to crank my head way back to se the very top. The thought of climbing up it - or worse, the elevator, sent shivers down my spine so we opted for pictures at the bottom instead (also avoiding the lines.) 


From here, we took an Uber to the Latin District to find attractions, more little shops and perhaps some food. We had great fun hiking the little hills and here we also were able to find some beautiful churches, buildings, and the Notre Dame after lunch at a fun spot on the patio of a café. 


After lunch we met up with Kevin and Carhy Main who have been in Paris for the past three weeks or so. We shared an espresso and walked with them for a short time. It was nice to see familiar faces for the both of us. 

After we found our way back to the district our hotel is in, we visited a few more shops and got ready for dinner at the Beef Club. Getting there was a bit tricky, and after we got in someone else's uber by mistake, then missed our own uber, we are a whole lot more fond of cabs at this point in the trip. When we finally got to dinner, we had the best waitress named Helen who helped us translate menu items and always had a warm, lightheartedness to her. I had ceviche and mama and daddy enjoyed some good (rare) Parisian beouf. After dinner, we went to the underground club next door and had a drink before walking home. I tried ordering a shot of Absinthe and re bartender gave me a very discerning glance and asked if I had ever tried it. He gave me the tiniest couple of drips and let me try it so that I could be very sure I, in factx did NOT want a full shot of that stuff. Great flavor but man it was strong! 


After our late (Europen) dinner which didn't even begin till 10 or so, we enjoyed walking back to the Westin. Paris is beautiful in the daytime and even more breathtaking at night. Past midnight, it seems only the lovers are out to enjoy the city's glittering lights. 

No comments:

Post a Comment