Thursday, September 3, 2015

Cinque Terre

So I may have fallen behind a little bit on my blogging... And on my workouts... And my portion control. But hey... It's Italy!!!! Anything other than a relaxed and easy attitude would almost seem culturally insensitive. 

We had a nice flight (rough landing though) from France into Florence and I saw the alps and the beautiful Italian coastline. After landing, we collected our bags, hopped in our Fiat 500 and set out for Monteroso. We got a little bit lost on the way, but were soon back on track with a little help from our friends at Hotel Via Steno. 


Our view from the hotel was pure magic. We could hear the bells, the barking dogs, the theatrical chatter of the locals, and the clanking of plates - all from our little balcony. The room was compact but very comfortable and extremely well air conditioned. 

After we settled in and put our bags up I changed into my bathing suit and we headed towards the beach. I forgot a towel so we bought the cheapest one we could find near the shore. The water was just spectacular and I swam out quite far. When I got out, I found a nice little lounge chair and enjoyed soaking up some soporific sunshine. Daddy came to find me and tell me where they were having a glass of wine when a very gruff Italian man informed me that he had paid for the lounge chair I was sitting in, and that if I wanted the free beach it was down the way. I was slow to get up from the sun, sea and lack of food until he yelled "NOW" and slammed the chair next to me. I was probably the 12th tourist he had to shoo away... Or at least I'll give him that. 

After that traumatic experience I was ready for a glass of wine. We at at Cantina Miky and had charcuterie, white wine, and a nice little chat with an English couple named Andy and Tracy from Milan.


After a shower we headed to a little place called Tortuga for dinner. We had a beautiful view of the ocean and caught the sun just before it set. 

After dinner we went for a little walk about the town shops to explore and let our dinner settle before heading to the hotel for a glass of our complimentary prosecco and our pillows. 


Day two in Monterosso was all about the hiking. We set out to visit the different towns via trail around 10 and returned by train around 3. We saw some friends from SLO in Vernazza and mama got stung/bitten by a wasp in Corniglia. Of the towns we visited (the trails to Manarolla and Rio Maggiore were closed so we didn't see them) I think my favorite was Corniglia... Apart from their mean insects. 


After we got off the train, we headed for the beach and I enjoyed another swim and a nice soak in the sun ON THE FREE BEACH! I collected some sea glass and a heart-shaped rock to take home before leaving to find mama and daddy at a little bar for a Moretti. 


For dinner, we found a little seafood place that displayed all the fresh catches of the day on an iced boat display out in front of the restaurant. I'm so proud of mama for all her adventurous sea food trials. So far she likes prawns the most, even detests the way they are presented with shells, tails, feet, and eyeballs in tact. 


After dinner, I enjoyed a glass of vino blanco and a FaceTime on the terrace.

This morning I woke up to a few mosquito bites so it appears I was a tasty treat for some lucky bugs last night. I, however, was the luckier casualty of Italian insects in our group. Poor mama woke up with a hugely swollen and numb lip from her bout with the wasp in Corniglia yesterday. We got some cortisone cream from the front desk, bug spray and Claritin from the Pharmacia, and will look for Benadryl when we get to our next stop. 

For now, we are in the car headed to Radda in Chianti. Mamas driving and has a mighty heavy foot today (like always). We seem to be averaging about 95! Viva Italia! 



No comments:

Post a Comment